Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Help Pass Senate Bill 1738- THE PROTECT OUR CHILDREN ACT

I am sad to have to post this on my blog, especially after posting the happy memory of my oldest child bearing his testimony for the first time. But because of my children and as a parent, I feel obligated to do whatever I can to help rid our world of this very serious and dangerous problem. After watching this episode on Oprah I was completely shocked and horrified. Whether you think this post is inappropriate or not please take the time to read this post and join me in this fight!


The Internet can sometimes seem like the Wild West for child predators—a place that largely operates outside the law. While trading in pedophile pornography is illegal, lack of adequate funding means law enforcement officials are able to investigate just 2 percent of their leads. And, according to Interpol statistics, only one-half of 1 percent are ever prosecuted.
"What you are going to see is going to shock you to the core, but I'm asking you to please don't turn away," Oprah says, "because this is happening in our country to our children in the United States every day."
The map behind Oprah shows how quickly one pornographic image of a child being molested can spread. It starts with the large red dot from a computer in Washington, D.C. Within 24 hours, it has spread all across the United States—from coast to coast and north to south. "This is just an average day in America—24 hours," Oprah says. 40 percent of people that view online child pornography are child molesters.
The demand for new videos and photos is so high that authorities report tracking increasingly brutal pornography with younger and younger victims."For once, you and I can do something about it!" Oprah says.

How to take action:
Go to www.oprah.com In the search bar type "help pass senate bill 1738". Click on "Help pass the PROTECT our Children Act" and you will recieve information on how to email or call your U.S. Senators and urge him/her to vote YES for this bill. There is a sample letter on the site that you may use to copy and paste to email to your senators. Please remember that this is not about politics but it is about our children. It is a bipartisan bill supported by both democrats and republicans.
The PROTECT Our Children Act will:
Authorize over $320 million over the next five years in desperately needed funding for law enforcement to investigate child exploitation.
Mandate that child rescue be a top priority for law enforcement receiving federal funding.
Allocate funds for high-tech computer software that can track down Internet predators.


YOU DONT HAVE VERY LONG BECAUSE YOUR SENATOR WILL VOTE ON THIS BILL SEPT. 26 SO PLEASE TAKE ACTION NOW!

5 comments:

Rob and Heather said...

I too watched the Oprah and felt just as you did. I was sick to my stomach. I can't believe the evil that is out there affecting children. It just is horrific. Thanks for posting this on your blog. I think that it takes all to fight for the Right... there should be no question in passing this bill. No reason to not Pass it.

Andrea F. said...

yikes...creepy!! you dont realize it can happen that fast until it smacks ya in the face like that oprah show!!

emi. said...

Oprah's show was really important. But it is scary to support a bill without knowing all the facts. There definitely needs to be more funding for this issue, but as letter-writers (and awesome citezens) we need to be better informed and decide for ourselves. THEN! we need to write TONS of letters to our senators.

We should have the best legislation on this issue. The bill is not going through because it has TONS of extra totally stuff tacked onto it. The opposing senators want to get these taken off. This article breaks it down really well:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1041260/oprah_criticized_for_senate_bill_1738.html?cat=2

also these contain more info about the bill:
http://coburn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=LatestNews.PressReleases&ContentRecord_id=677267e2-802a-23ad-4698-dbe39b99ec24

http://coburn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Files.View&FileStore_id=2a1252b8-1541-4894-b8c3-c6fb76a5d73b

http://biden.senate.gov/press/press_releases/release/?id=F42657D4-AE1C-4B5D-A175-D196A3C80736

emi. said...

You don't know me. I was horrified by the Oprah show, and of course wanted to do something. However, I'm really concerned about voting for legislation when I don't know all the facts. Also, although I love Oprah, sometimes she has agendas I disagree with (she does a lot of good). Anyways, I'm just concerned about all the response to this, and I want people to be informed. Your blog came up on a search of the senate bill posts. I'm LDS also. So I say, rock on. Thank you for being concerned on this issue also.

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

Segi - I have been saving your post to comment on, because I just watched this Oprah. I've had it on my TiVo. Oh my gosh is all I can say. I seriously was tearing up watching parts of it. It is so sick and wrong and I too feel that something should be done. I don't know much about the Act, but I am for sure going to go research it. From what I know I have heard that they have tacked a lot of extra stuff on it. Good post... we need to get awareness out there.